Shaka and Shine! It’s Honolulu PRIDE Month!
Unlike most celebrations across the country, Honolulu hosts pride festivities in October. We are so happy to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community this month and every month! This year, the festivities will be virtual and will include the KHON2 special program Aloha With Pride, the Tiny Floats Parade (with prizes!), a series of Rainbow Town Halls and the wildly popular Virtual After Party.
Coconut Waikiki Hotel is honored to support the Hawai’i LGBT Legacy Foundation and our community through being a Gold Sponsor this year. 2021’s Honolulu Pride theme is Shaka And Shine! Visit their website for information on virtual events + programming happening all month long.
Check out some local LGBTQ-friendly spots while visiting us this month and anytime you’re here on Oahu!
- Bacchus Waikiki – Waikiki’s friendliest gay bar. Their cozy one room bar welcomes all Oahu visitors for booze, music, food and fun!
- Chiko’s Tavern – a long time staple of Hawaii’s LGBT scene, on the outskirts of Waikiki, Chiko’s is one of the best kept dive bar secrets and is worth the short ride up McCully!
- Haus Supper Club – Thursday night LGBT hot spot with a monthly Gay Island Guide event.
- Hula’s Bar & Lei Stand – known around the world simply as Hula’s, is not only a Legend among LGBTQ+, but is also known among everyone as the epitome of “Aloha” for ALL! Hula’s has been serving Hawaii and our international guests for 46 years!
- Wang Chung’s Karaoke Bar – lively gay bar in Waikiki is known for its karaoke stage every night. The bar is open until 2:00AM. Daily and on Sunday mornings – Wang Chung puts on a spectacular drag brunch.
We can’t wait to celebrate in person when it’s safe, but here’s a look back at a past Honolulu Pride Parade celebration!
“Keep the LGBTQ+ aloha growing and flowing–virtual, at a distance–but, more than ever, diverse, all-inclusive and very real.” – The Hawai’i LGBT Legacy Foundation