Happy Earth Month! Mālama ʻĀina – Care For The Land
Happy Earth Month! It’s time for us to get together and “Invest In Our Planet,” this year’s Earth Day theme, which is on Friday, April 22, 2022.
When visiting Hawaiʻi, we encourage you to “mālama ʻāina” (to care for the land). In Hawaiʻi there is a deep connection between the ʻāina (land) and its people. When you mālama (care for) The Hawaiian Islands, The Hawaiian Islands give back to you too. Letʻs honor our connection with nature, culture and people — from protecting wildlife and caring for the land, to nurturing the community around you.
Letʻs make every day Earth Day!
Here are some tips on how you can make a difference in investing in our planet at home, and mālama ʻāina when visiting Hawaiʻi:
- Mālama Hawaiʻi Program – several organizations offer opportunities for visitors to voluneteer and pay it forward, like beach cleanups, native tree planting, and more.
- Community Cleanups – join local beach/park cleanups organized by local groups in your community, or grab a few friends to cleanup before you enjoy the beach, park, trail and outdoor spaces!
- Reuse – avoid single-plastic use and disposables. Refill your water bottles, bring your own grocery bags and skip the straws and plastic utensils whenever possible!
- Recycle – remember to recycle and place things in their proper places so they can be re-processed and reused! We’re talking plastic items, paper materials, metals/batteries, hazardous items, glasses and more!
- Eat Local – buy local, support local and eat locally sourced foods! This helps reduce carbon emissions, fuel costs and supports small business. Check out the many Farmers Markets on Oahu!
- Leave It Better Than You Found It!
Visiting us in April? Join our community for cleanups on Oahu!
- April 22, 2022 from 4:00-6:00PM – EARTH DAY Puʻu o Kaimuki Restoration
- April 23, 2022 from 8:00-11:00am – EARTH DAY WKND 808 & Patagonia Mokulē‘ia Army Beach Cleanup
- April 24, 2022 from 9:00-11:00am – EARTH DAY WKND 808 & SLP Cleanup & Honu Release
- April 2, 2022 from 9:00-11:00am at SALT Kakaako
- April 23 from 10:00am-12:00pm at Manoa Stream Cleanup
- April 24, 2022 – Earth Day Clean Up Festival
Want to live more sustainably? Shop at Zero-Waste Refill Shops on Oahu
- Keep It Simple Honolulu – Located just four-blocks from our hotel (approx. 8-minute walk), stop by their Waikiki shop and browse their health, kitchen and beauty/personal care products and check out their refill station for a unique shopping experience!
- Protea Zero Waste – Hawaii’s First Zero Waste Refill Store! Located in Kailua, shop for natural beauty and household cleaning products as well as items to help live a more waste-free lifestyle (vegan & cruelty-free). Don’t forget to bring your containers to refill your goods at their refill station.
Mālama Hawaiʻi is an invitation to travel differently. To travel not only with an open mind, but with an open heart, and give back to the communities that welcome you with aloha. View videos from Mālama Hawaiʻi about Aquaculture, Habitat Stewardship, Reforestation, Sustainable Farming and more below and visit www.gohawaii.com/malama for more information!